Australia - flag Australia - Business & Investment - Investor Retirement Visa

The Investor Retirement visa is designed to attract self-funded retirees to spend their retirement years in Australia.

An Investor Retirement visa is a temporary visa, valid for four years and cannot lead to permanent residence. It is possible to apply for further Investor Retirement visas which could allow you to stay in Australia for a further four years.


In order to qualify for an Investor Retirement visa, applicants must be over 55 years of age and have no dependents (other than a spouse). Applicants must be self-supporting and be willing to make a significant long-term financial investment in Australia.

Applicants will require sponsorship from a participating State or Territory government and will be required to make a designated investment in that sponsoring State or Territory. Depending on where you intend to settle, the actual investment amount may vary. If you are willing to live in a regional area of Australia, you can take advantage of the reduced investment amount.

You are also required to satisfy health and character requirements.


Upon being granted an Investor Retirement visa, you will become a temporary resident of Australia. You will be able to work up to 20 hours per week and travel freely in and out of Australia for four years.

Temporary residents are required to pay taxes on income earned and cannot access social welfare benefits or government subsidised health care (Medicare). As a condition of your Investor Retirement visa, you will be required to obtain adequate health insurance cover for the duration of your stay in Australia. Citizens of countries with which Australia has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) are entitled to emergency medical cover in Australia, but this coverage does not extend to pre-existing medical conditions.

RHCA countries include Finland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Sweden and the United Kingdom.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth. is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.