Work Permit (Based on Skills)
A Work Permit (Based on Skills) is available in Canada. A maximum of 20,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications, without an offer of arranged employment, will be considered for processing each year.
Within the 20 000 cap, a maximum of 1 000 Federal Skilled Worker applications per National Occupation Classification (NOC) code will be considered for processing each year.
In calculating the caps, applications will be considered in order of the date they are received.
For the unique purpose of calculating the caps, the first year will begin on June 26, 2010, and end on June 30, 2011 Subsequent years will be calculated from July 1st to June 30th, unless otherwise indicated in a future Ministerial Instruction.
There will be only two categories under the Federal Skilled Worker program:
Applications submitted with an Arranged Employment Offer (AEO) consistent with requirements of subsection 82(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations Applications from skilled workers with evidence of experience in the last 10 years under one or more of the following National Occupation Classification (NOC) codes:
- 0631 Restaurant and Food Service Managers
- 0811 Primary Production Managers (Except Agriculture)
- 1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management
- 1233 Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners
- 2121 Biologists and Related Scientists
- 2151 Architects
- 3111 Specialist Physicians
- 3112 General Practitioners and Family Physicians
- 3113 Dentists
- 3131 Pharmacists
- 3142 Physiotherapists
- 3152 Registered Nurses
- 3215 Medical Radiation Technologists
- 3222 Dental Hygienists & Dental Therapists
- 3233 Licensed Practical Nurses
- 4151 Psychologists
- 4152 Social Workers
- 6241 Chefs
- 6242 Cooks
- 7215 Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
- 7216 Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades
- 7241 Electricians (Except Industrial & Power System)
- 242 Industrial Electricians
- 7251 Plumbers
- 7265 Welders & Related Machine Operators
- 7312 Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
- 7371 Crane Operators
- 7372 Drillers & Blasters - Surface Mining, Quarrying & Construction
- 8222 Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
As new occupations have been added, if you see an occupation on this list in which you have a minimum of twelve (12) months work experience in the last ten (10) years, you may now be eligible.