Self-employment Permit

It is possible to be granted a work and residence permit in order to be self-employed and/or operate an independent company in Denmark.

When processing your application, the Immigration Service will pay particular attention to the following conditions:

There must be particular Danish business interests related to the establishment of your business in Denmark.
You must present documentation that you have access to sufficient financial means to run your business.
Your presence and involvement must be vital to the establishment of the business, and you must participate actively in its day-to-day operation. If you have only financial interests in the business - for example, if you are a shareholder - you are not eligible for a Danish residence and work permit.
Normally, you will not be eligible for a residence and work permit for the purpose of opening a restaurant or retail shop in Denmark.

As a self-employed person you will normally be granted a residence permit for one year with a possibility for extension. After two years' residence, you may be granted a residence and work permit for a longer period of time.

If the nature or purpose of your company changes considerably, or if you shut down your company and open a new one, you must apply for a new residence and work permit.

Your residence permit can only be granted or extended up to three months before your passport expires. In other words, if your passport expires in 12 months, your residence permit can only be granted for, or extended by, nine months.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.