European Union - flag European Union - Family & Partner - Residency (Child of EEA National)

Permanent Residency in the European Union (EU) for descendants of an EU national is possible following recent European Union Court rulings and these overrule any national immigration laws.

While the particulars of the rulings are complex, the fundamental principle is one of fairness and avoiding situations where a young person (in this case, under the age of 21 years old and still under the care of an EU national) cannot move to an EU country if their primary care giver has plans to move there.

The particular requirements of this solution are:

- The applicant must be under the age of 21 years old;
- One of their parents must be an EU national; AND
- The parent holding EU nationality must intend to move to the EU country.

This is a complex case and almost certainly requires the assistance of an Immigration firm.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth. is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.