Child Dependency Permit (EEA Parent)

This Child Dependency Permit entitlement arises where the child (including an adopted child) under the age of 18 has a parent sponsor who is an EU National. For a successful application, the child must be under the age of 18.

This EU Parent does not have SETTLED status in the United Kingdom until they have been resident in the UK for at least 5 years.

This type of “visa” is officially called an EEA Family Permit. Basically all dependent entry clearance applications based on an EEA national as a sponsor will be called an EEA family permit application.

The word “visa” is not applicable under the EEA Regulations, thus reference should either be made to an EEA family permit (entry clearance application) or a residence card (application within the UK).

Children under the age of 21 can make an application as a family member (an automatic right). Children over the age of 21 can make an application as an extended family member (this is not an automatic right as they have to prove their financial dependency on the EEA national family member).

The EEA National can sponsor children other than their own (such as nieces, nephews, cousins, etc) if it can be shown that the child is financially dependent on the EEA national or lived in the same household as the EEA national before the EEA national came to the UK.