United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship (Marriage to CUKC Husband pre 1949)
A woman has a potential claim to British nationality where she was married before 1949 a man who was classified as a Citizen of the UK & Colonies. It arises where:
- the woman married a man before 1 January 1949;
- the woman's husband (or her father-in law) was born in a former British Colony; AND
- the woman has the Right of Abode
The Right of Abode normally arises where:
- the woman has a UK-born grandparent;
- the woman's husband (or her father-in-law) was born in the UK; OR
- the woman spent at least 5 years in the UK before 1983.
In some cases, such a woman can pass on British nationality to her children.