United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Descent (UKF pre 1983)
A situation where a person was born:
- anywhere in the world
- before 01.01.1983
- to a father who was British OTHER THAN BY DESCENT
will mean that the person is a British Citizen by descent.
A British Citizen Other than by Descent is someone who achieved this status under the following four circumstances:
1) Mother with a British Passport married to a man holding a British Passport who qualifies for points 2-4 below;
2) A person born in the United Kingdom before 01.01.1983;
3) A person Naturalised or Registered as British before 01.01.1983; OR
4) A person born in a UK Colony AND has a British Passport, but has no parent or grandparent born in the UK.
British Citizens by Descent cannot pass on automatically British status to their children born outside of the UK.