United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Hong Kong (After 1 July 1997)

The status of British Overseas Citizen is possible in this rare set of circumstances:

  • Born anywhere;
  • Born after 1 July 1997;
  • Born stateless (i.e. without a nationality by law); AND
  • Parent was a BNO (or British National Overseas) at the time of birth.

This solution arises from a parent's birth (or descent from a father's birth) in Hong Kong, and the applicant's birth after the handover of Hong Kong to China on 1 July 1997.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.