United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Bechuanaland Birth
A person has a potential claim to the status of British Overseas Citizen (or BOC) where they were born in Bechuanaland before its independence on 30 September 1966 as Botswana. This solution arises where:
- the candidate was born in Bechuanaland before Independence on 30 September 1966;
- the candidate's father was born in a former British Colony that gained its independence before 30 September 1966 (these include the Aden Colony, the Kenya Colony, Basutoland and Mauritius); AND
- the candidate's paternal grandfather was born in Swaziland.
This BOC status could be upgraded in some circumstances where the candidate has the Right of Abode. This normally arises where:
- the candidate has a UK-born grandparent; OR
- the candidate is a woman and married a British man before 1983.