United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Marriage to CUKC Husband pre 1949
A woman has a potential claim to the status of British Overseas Citizen (or BOC) where she was married before 1949 a man who was classified as a Citizen of the UK & Colonies. It arises where:
- the woman married a man before 1 January 1949; AND
- the woman's husband (or her father-in law) was born in a former British Colony.
UPGRADING TO FULL BRITISH NATIONALITY
This BOC status could be upgraded in some circumstances where the candidate has the Right of Abode. This normally arises where:
- the woman has a UK-born grandparent;
- the woman's husband (or her father-in-law) was born in the UK;
- the woman spent at least 5 years in the UK before 1983; OR
- the woman holds no other nationality.
In some cases, such a woman can pass on British nationality to her children.