United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Work Skills & Ancestry - Tier 2 Work Permit Employment Visa

This Tier 2 Work Permit is based on a job offer from a UK-based employer who holds a sponsorship license. In addition to an offer of employment, you will need to meet the requirements of a points-based system (focused on qualifications, work experience and/or earning potential). In the first instance, a prospective sponsor will apply to the Home Office in order to be granted a license after successfully completing the Resident Labour Market Test.

When successfully licensed, a sponsoring company can apply for a number of certificates of sponsorship, which they can then present to the potential employees whom they intend to sponsor. Once a prospective employee has been allocated a certificate of sponsorship, he or she will be eligible to apply for UK entry clearance OR leave to remain in the UK (depending on their particular circumstances).

The Sponsored Worker (Tier 2 General) visa is issued for an initial period of three or five years (if it is three years, a further 2 years' extension is required). Upon successfully holding a Sponsored Worker (Tier 2 General) for a total of five years, individuals may be entitled to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). ILR entitles individuals to permanent residency in the UK, as well as visa-free travel to and from the UK. A tier 2 Work Permit holder can also sponsor their non-British relatives into the UK (and they may go on to also ultimately be eligible to apply for British Citizenship). Eligible dependents may also qualify to be included and upon obtaining the visa, may also work or study without any restrictions.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.