Aged Parent Visa (Non Contributory)

The Aged Parent Visa allows aged parents, older than 63 years of age, to migrate to Australia permanently to join their children who are living in Australia. The Aged Parent visa requires sponsorship from an eligible child in Australia.

The government limits the number of available Aged Parent visas available each program year. Therefore, applicants who apply and meet core criteria for this visa are placed in a global queue.

Applicants may choose to apply for a Contributory Aged Parent visa where applicants, or their sponsor, pay a larger application fee and an Assurance of Support bond. The waiting period for the grant of a Contributory Aged Parent visa is much shorter.


In order to apply as an aged parent, applicants must pass the balance of family test. In addition, all aged parent migrants must be sponsored by their child who must have lived in Australia for at least 2 years prior to the application AND be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. An eligible New Zealand citizen is a New Zealand Passport holder who had been resident in Australia prior to 26th February 2001.

Applications for the Aged Parent visa can be made in Australia. An aged parent is one who is old enough to be granted an Australian age pension. For male applicants, the qualifying age is 65 and for female applicants the qualifying age is from 63 to 65, depending on the applicant's birth date.

Applicants are also required to satisfy health and character requirements.


Successful applicants and holders of an Aged Parent visa become permanent residents of Australia. As a permanent resident, you are entitled to live, work and study in Australia on a permanent basis. When you are granted permanent residence, a visa label is placed in your passport as proof of your permanent residence status.

Additional benefits of Australian permanent residence include access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), certain social security benefits and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship.