United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Naturalisation

British Citizenship by Naturalisation is available to a candidate who has spent sufficient qualifying time in the UK on the following "Settled Status":


Holding an Illegal UK Immigration status

An "Overstayer" (a person who has remained in the UK AFTER their visa expired) or a person who entered the country illegally can, in some circumstances, regularise their UK Immigration status and obtain a valid UK Visa. Discretion needs to be applied in all such cases and professional advice should be sought.

If you have any period of unlawful residence, professional advice should be sought before any application for Indefinite Leave to Remain, Permanent Residency or Naturalisation. 


There are two categories covered by this, based on two different situations:-

- the applicant is NOT MARRIED to a British citizen; OR
- the applicant is MARRIED to a British citizen;


There are several requirements:-

- The applicant must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 5 years;
- The applicant must hold a "Settled Status" for at least 12 months; AND
- The applicant must meet the Language and Life in the UK tests (unless the applicant is aged 65 or above).


The same criteria apply as above, except for the requirement for being ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years, rather than 5.

To find out whether you qualify for Naturalisation as a British Citizen, take a couple of moments to complete our FREE Online Assessment.



Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.