Newfoundland (now part of Canada)

Newfoundland (now part of Canada) - flag

Listen to our RECENT WEBINAR where our two British nationality experts - Philip Gamble and Mishal Patel - discuss a family birth in Canada and its implications for claims to British nationality in the modern day.


Canadians and those born in Newfoundland (which now forms part of Canada) have several ways in which to claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. These are:

  • By Birth (having been born in the UK)
  • By Descent (a British or UK-born mother or father)
  • Not having become Canadian by birth in Newfoundland
  • By Double Descent (a grandparent born in the UK)
  • A parent or grandparent born outside of Canada
  • A parent or grandparent holding a nationality other than Canadian

The most common route to British Nationality is often through residency in the UK while on a UK Ancestry Visa. This Ancestry Visa for the UK is available to a Canadian aged 17 or over, and entitles you to live and work in the UK. It is possible to obtain a UK Ancestry Visa Extension, and then then to qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) leading to British Nationality.

Another popular route is through the UK Working Holiday Visa. This is available to a Canadian aged between 18 and 30 and entitles you to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. While this time does not qualify for time spent in the UK for the purposes of claim British Nationality, it does provide further opportunities to extend ones stay in the UK.

British Nationality for a Canadian is available to those with a family link to the UK or its former colonial empire. Broadly speaking (and there are exceptions), where a parent or grandparent has been British or was born in the UK or Ireland (before 1922), then it may be possible to have a claim to a British Passport. Our research has found that 13% of Canadians who have a UK born grandparent already qualify for British Nationality. 

For these and other forms of British Nationality available to Canadians, click on British Citizenship for Canadians. To discover whether you are entitled to a British Passport based on your birth in Canada, take 2 minutes to complete our FREE Nationality Search...


From 1870 to 31.03.1949, Canada fell within the British Crown Dominions.

From 01.04.1949, Canada became an independent Commonwealth country.


From 1713 to 31.12.1948, Newfoundland fell within the British Crown Dominions.

From 01.04.1949 until 22.05.1950, Newfoundland was an independent Commonwealth country.

On 23.05.1950, Newfoundland ceased to be an independent Commonwealth country and became part of Canada.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth. is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.