Switzerland - flag Switzerland - Passport & Nationality - Swiss Citizenship (Renaturalistion)

As with facilitated naturalisation, renaturalisation is in the responsibility of the Confederation; cantons and communities have a right of appeal. The general requirement for renaturalisation is close connections with Switzerland. Renaturalisation can be obtained by people who have lost Swiss nationality (by forfeiture, marriage or release from Swiss nationality).

Applicants are particularly foreign spouses of Swiss nationals and foreign children, one of whose parents is Swiss.

Application to be submitted to Confederation
FOM, Naturalisation Section, Quellenweg 6,
3003 Bern-Wabern

Decision-making competence: Confederation
Right of appeal yes

Requirements at federal level:

• Integration
• Compliance with rule of law
• No danger to internal or external security
• Additional requirements depending on legal provisions

Requirements at cantonal level None, only right to be heard and right of appeal
Requirements at communal level None, only right to be heard and right of appeal


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.