United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship (Bechuanaland Birth)
A person has a potential claim to British nationality where they were born in Bechuanaland before its independence on 30 September 1966 as Botswana. This solution arises where:
- the candidate was born in Bechuanaland before Independence on 30 September 1966;
- the candidate's father was born in a former British Colony that gained its independence before 30 September 1966 (these include the Aden Colony, the Kenya Colony, Basutoland and Mauritius);
- the candidate's paternal grandfather was born in Swaziland; AND
- the candidate has the Right of Abode.
The Right of Abode normally arises where:
- the candidate has a UK-born grandparent; OR
- the candidate is a woman and married a British man before 1983.