United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Birth (1981-1-1b)-Parent Resident

Passport by Birth after 01/01/1983 in the United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland) to a parent who has SETTLED STATUS in the UK at the time of your birth, entitles the candidate to British nationality.

This is an automatic right that occurs at the time of your birth. In other words, there is no need to apply for British Nationality - it occurs by operation of law. The parent must have held 'settled status' at the time of the birth. This could be indefinite leave, Armed Forces Exemption, Right of Abode or simply the parent being a British Citizenship.

For more solutions involving:

  • Born in the UK before 1983, OR
  • Born in the UK after 1983,

Then click on British Citizenship by Birth.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.