United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Birth (Settled parent)

A child can be registered as a British citizen where:

 1) the child was born in the UK;

 2) the child is still under 18; AND

 3) neither of the parents were "Settled" at the time the child was born OR one of the parents subsequently becomes "Settled" after the child's birth.

If a parent was "settled" at the time that the child was born, then an application to register the child can be made at any time in the future. However, where the parent only became "settled" after the child was born, then the application must take place before the child turns 18. In either case, we always advise clients with children under the age of 18 to address their rights to British nationality before they turn 18. There are several routes to register a child as a British citizen, and these fall away away once a child turns 18 and can be lost forever. 

The "Settled" status includes:

 a) a British Citizen

 b) an Irish Citizen

 c) a person holding the UK Right of Abode;

 d) a person hold Indefinite Leave to Remain; AND

 e) an EU National holding a Permanent Residence Card.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.