United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent (Crown Service post 1983 Territory)

Watch this SHORT VIDEO on Crown Service and how a claim to British nationality can arise:


A claim for British nationality by double descent is available under this category where:

  • a grandfather was born in the UK or Northern Ireland;
  • the applicant was born after 01.01.1983;
  • the relevant parent (whose father was born in the UK or Northern Ireland) was born in a former British territory; AND
  • the grandfather was in Crown or Designated Service at the time of the relevant parent's birth.

What is Crown or Designated Service?

"Crown Service" or "Designated Service" covers a wide definition of work undertaken outside of the UK and includes the:

  • British Military
  • Overseas Civil Service
  • Colonial Service
  • Diplomatic Corp
  • Police and Defence forces
  • BSAP in Rhodesia
  • Public Utilities (like power, water, gas, telecoms and mail)
  • Australia, New Zealand and Malaya Defence Organisation
  • Red Cross
  • YMCA and YWCA
  • Church Army
  • Seamans Missions
  • International organisations (like the Salvation Army)
  • Teaching positions at Government schools; and
  • Any work with the domestic colonial government in the territory.

In most cases, the recruitment must have occurred or initiated in the UK, but there are exceptions to this general rule. For example, management positions or those at officer level can be deemed to have been made from the UK.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.