United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Triple Descent (Pre 49 ETJ-12(4))
A rare claim to British nationality by Triple Descent (i.e. from a UK-born great grandfather) can arise where:
- the applicant was born between 1 January 1949 and 31 December 1982;
- the applicant's father was born before 1949;
- the applicant's father was born in a country where Extra Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) was exercised by the Crown;
- the applicant's paternal grandfather was born in any country other than the UK and the 1949 Commonwealth countries;
- the paternal grandfather of the applicant's father was born in the UK; AND
- the applicant has the Right of Abode through a UK-born grandparent.