United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Hong Kong (Before 1 July 1997)

The status of British Overseas Citizen is possible in this rare set of circumstances:

  • Born in Hong Kong;
  • Born before 1 July 1997;
  • Stateless (i.e. without a nationality by law) on 1 July 1997; AND
  • Father was not born in China.

This solution arises from a father's birth outside of mainland China, and the applicant's birth before the handover of Hong Kong to China on 1 July 1997.

Other British nationality solutions involving Hong Kong include the following:

British National Overseas (BNO)

British National Overseas (BNO) - Upgrade to British Citizenship

British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Hong Kong (After 1 July 1997)

British Citizenship by Descent (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong BNO Visa

Tier 5 Working Holiday Visa


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.