Contributory Aged Parent Visa

The Contributory Aged Parent visa allows aged parents, older than 63 years of age, to migrate to Australia permanently to join their children living in Australia. The Aged Parent visa requires sponsorship from an eligible child in Australia.

The government limits the number of available Aged Parent visas available each program year. Therefore, applicants who apply and meet core criteria for this visa are placed in a global queue.

Applicants who choose to apply for a Contributory Aged Parent visa where applicants, or their sponsor, pay a larger application fee and an Assurance of Support bond. The waiting period for the grant of a Contributory Aged Parent visa is much shorter.


In order to apply as an aged parent, applicants must pass the balance of family test. In addition, all aged parent migrants must be sponsored by their child who must have lived in Australia for at least 2 years prior to the application AND be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. An eligible New Zealand citizen is a New Zealand Passport holder who had been resident in Australia prior to 26th February 2001.

Applications for the Contributory Aged Parent visa can be made in Australia. An aged parent is one who is old enough to be granted an Australian age pension. For male applicants, the qualifying age is 65 and for female applicants the qualifying age is from 63 to 65, depending on the applicant's birth date.

Applicants are also required to satisfy health and character requirements.


Successful applicants and holders of a Contributory Aged Parent visa become permanent residents of Australia. As a permanent resident, you are entitled to live, work and study in Australia on a permanent basis. When you are granted permanent residence, a visa label is placed in your passport as proof of your permanent residence status.

Additional benefits of Australian permanent residence include access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), certain social security benefits and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship.

Successful applicants and holders of a Contributory Aged Parent visa will hold a two year temporary residence visa. During this period, you will have access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), work and study rights.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.