Parent Visa (Non Contributory)

The Parent visa allows parents to migrate to Australia permanently to join their children living in Australia.

The Parent visa requires sponsorship from an eligible child in Australia. A Parent Visa is available where you are aged over 55, and the "Balance of Family" is now based in Australia. If you, as the parent, can demonstrate that your only child, or the majority of your children, are resident in Australia, then you may qualify for a Parent Visa. At least half your children (called the "Balance of Family") must be living in Australia with either Permanent Residency or holding an Australian Passport.

The government limits the number of available Parent visas available each program year. Therefore, applicants who apply and meet core criteria for this visa are placed in a global queue.

Applicants may choose to apply for a Contributory Parent visa where applicants, or their sponsor, pay a larger application fee and an Assurance of Support bond. The waiting period for the grant of a Contributory Parent visa is much shorter. Contributory Parent visa applicants will be required to pay a grant fee AUD$34,330 per person at the time the visa is awarded.


In order to apply as a parent, applicants must pass the balance of family test. In addition, all parent migrants must be sponsored by their child who has been resident in Australia for 2 years AND must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen (resident in Australia prior to 26th February 2001). Applicants are also required to satisfy health and character requirements.

Applications for the Parent visa must usually be lodged outside Australia.


Successful applicants and holders of a Parent visa become permanent residents of Australia. As a permanent resident, you are entitled to live, work and study in Australia on a permanent basis. When you are granted permanent residence, a visa label is placed in your passport as proof of your permanent residence status.

Additional benefits of Australian permanent residence include access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), certain social security benefits and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship.

Successful applicants and holders of a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa will hold a two year temporary residence visa. During this period, you will have access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), work and study rights.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.