Prospective Marriage Visa
The Prospective Marriage visa enables fiance(e)s of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to enter Australia and marry their spouse within the visa's nine month validity. This visa entitles the holder to apply for a Spouse visa once the couple has married.
AUSTRALIAN PROSPECTIVE MARRIAGE VISA BASIC REQUIREMENTS
The applicant must enter Australia, marry their sponsor and apply for a Spouse visa all within this nine month period that the visa is valid. To be eligible to apply for a Prospective Marriage visa you must demonstrate that you:
- have personally known (i.e. physically met with) your Australian sponsor;
- are engaged to marry your Australian sponsor in Australia;
- will marry your Australian sponsor within the visa validity period;
- intend to live together in a genuine spousal relationship; and
- will apply for a Spouse visa in Australia within the visa validity period.
You are also required to satisfy health and character requirements.
You must apply for a Prospective Marriage visa from outside Australia and you must be outside Australia at the time the visa is granted.
AUSTRALIAN PROSPECTIVE MARRIAGE VISA ENTITLEMENTS
As a holder of a Prospective Marriage visa you are permitted to work, study and travel freely in and out of Australia during the 9 month validity period. You are also entitled to apply for a Spouse visa in Australia after you marry your fiance(e).
Once you have lodged your Spouse visa application you are also entitled to access government subsidised health care (Medicare).