Spouse Visa (De Facto Spouse Visa)

A De Facto Spouse Visa for Australia can be applied if your unmarried partner has Permanent Residency in Australia or you are a partner of (but not married to) an Australian Citizen. Your relationship can include a Same Sex union. A successful application must demonstrate that you have been together for more than 12 months, that both are over 18 years of age, and that the relationship is genuine, stable and ongoing.

You are also required to satisfy health and character requirements.


An application for the Spouse (De Facto) visa is a two stages application. Initially a temporary Partner visa will be granted and will be valid for two years from the date of application. After this time, your relationship must be continual and if assessed to be genuine, you will be granted a permanent Partner visa. Only one application form and one application fee is required to complete this two stage application.

Successful applicants and holders of a permanent Australian Partner visa become permanent residents of Australia. As a permanent resident, you are entitled to live, work and study in Australia on a permanent basis. When you are granted permanent residence, a visa label is placed in your passport as proof of your permanent residence status.

Additional benefits of Australian permanent residence include access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), certain social security benefits and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.