Cameroon - flag

Residents and those born in Cameroon have several ways in which to claim British Nationality. These are:

  • A British or UK-born mother or father
  • Not having gained nationality of Cameroon on Independence
  • A grandparent born in the UK
  • A parent or grandparent born outside of Cameroon
  • A parent or grandparent holding a nationality other than Cameroon


From 20.07.1922 until 12.12.1946, Southern Cameroon was a UK Mandated Territory.

From 13.12.1946 until 30.09.1961, it was a UK Trust Territory.

From 01.10.1961, it became a foreign country (known as the Cameroon Republic).

From 13.11.1995, Cameroon was an independent Commonwealth country. Click here for more information about the consequences of being born in a Commonwealth country.

For these and other forms of British Nationality available to Cameroon residents, those born there or nationals, click on British Citizenship.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth. is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.