Canadian Citizenship (Naturalisation)
To become a Canadian citizen through permanent residency, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age (or 14 years or older with parent);
- Must possess Canadian permanent resident status;
- Must meet the residency requirements for time lived in Canada;
- Must possess a working knowledge of one of Canada's official languages (English/French);
- Must not pose a security threat or possess a criminal history;
- Must undergo a knowledge test to confirm the applicant's knowledge of some basic facts about Canada and Canadian citizenship.
Certain exemptions apply to the above requirements for applicants below 18 and above 54 years of age.