Hong Kong - flag Hong Kong - Working Holiday - Working Holiday Visa

The purpose of the Scheme is to facilitate cultural and educational exchange between Hong Kong and the participating country with a view to strengthening the bilateral relationship between the two places. National passport holders aged between 18 and 30 of the participating country, who are ordinarily residing in their home country and whose main intention to Hong Kong is to holiday, are welcome to join the Scheme. Under the arrangements of the Scheme, they may take up short-term employment and/or enrol in a short educational course while they are on holiday in Hong Kong.

There will be an annual quota for nationals of each participating country and qualified applications will be approved on a first-come first-served basis. The participating countries are Australia, Canada, GermanyIreland, JapanNew Zealand and South Korea.

A national of the participating country meeting the following eligibility criteria may be granted a Working Holiday visa for participating in the Scheme:

  • he/she holds a valid national passport issued by the participating country and is ordinarily residing in that participating country;
  • his/her primary intention is to holiday in Hong Kong;
  • he/she is aged between 18 and 30;
  • he/she is able to produce financial proof of having an amount sufficient for his/her maintenance during his/her proposed stay in the HKSAR, e.g. bank statement, saving accounts passbooks, etc.;
  • he/she holds a return air ticket or financial proof of having sufficient funds to purchase a return air fare; and
  • he/she agrees to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation and liability insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in the HKSAR.

Application Procedures
To apply for the Working Holiday visa, an applicant needs to complete a visa application form ID(E)940 which is obtainable from the Information Office of the HKSAR Immigration Department as well as Chinese diplomatic and consular missions (CDCMs) in the participating country. Xerox copy of the visa application form will also be accepted. Applicants are strongly advised to read the relevant guidance notes ID(E)940A before completing the application form.

Completed visa applications together with the necessary supporting documents may be submitted to the HKSAR Immigration Department direct by post or through a local connection. They may also be submitted to the CDCMs in the participating country.

Conditions and Restrictions
The holder of a Working Holiday Visa may be allowed to enter Hong Kong and stay for not more than 12 months subject to normal immigration requirements being met. Application for extension of stay will not normally be considered.

Participants of the Scheme are not permitted to engage in permanent employment and should not work for the same employer for more than three months during their visit in Hong Kong. Participants from Australia and New Zealand may also enrol in study or training course(s) of not more than three months during their visit.

Participants will not be eligible to come to Hong Kong for any further working holiday under the same Scheme. Entry applications from dependent spouse/children to join the participants will not be considered.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.