Working Holiday Visa
The purpose of the Scheme is to facilitate cultural and educational exchange between Hong Kong and the participating country with a view to strengthening the bilateral relationship between the two places. National passport holders aged between 18 and 30 of the participating country, who are ordinarily residing in their home country and whose main intention to Hong Kong is to holiday, are welcome to join the Scheme. Under the arrangements of the Scheme, they may take up short-term employment and/or enrol in a short educational course while they are on holiday in Hong Kong.
There will be an annual quota for nationals of each participating country and qualified applications will be approved on a first-come first-served basis. The participating countries are Australia, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea.
A national of the participating country meeting the following eligibility criteria may be granted a Working Holiday visa for participating in the Scheme:
- he/she holds a valid national passport issued by the participating country and is ordinarily residing in that participating country;
- his/her primary intention is to holiday in Hong Kong;
- he/she is aged between 18 and 30;
- he/she is able to produce financial proof of having an amount sufficient for his/her maintenance during his/her proposed stay in the HKSAR, e.g. bank statement, saving accounts passbooks, etc.;
- he/she holds a return air ticket or financial proof of having sufficient funds to purchase a return air fare; and
- he/she agrees to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation and liability insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in the HKSAR.
To apply for the Working Holiday visa, an applicant needs to complete a visa application form ID(E)940 which is obtainable from the Information Office of the HKSAR Immigration Department as well as Chinese diplomatic and consular missions (CDCMs) in the participating country. Xerox copy of the visa application form will also be accepted. Applicants are strongly advised to read the relevant guidance notes ID(E)940A before completing the application form.
Completed visa applications together with the necessary supporting documents may be submitted to the HKSAR Immigration Department direct by post or through a local connection. They may also be submitted to the CDCMs in the participating country.
Conditions and Restrictions
The holder of a Working Holiday Visa may be allowed to enter Hong Kong and stay for not more than 12 months subject to normal immigration requirements being met. Application for extension of stay will not normally be considered.
Participants of the Scheme are not permitted to engage in permanent employment and should not work for the same employer for more than three months during their visit in Hong Kong. Participants from Australia and New Zealand may also enrol in study or training course(s) of not more than three months during their visit.
Participants will not be eligible to come to Hong Kong for any further working holiday under the same Scheme. Entry applications from dependent spouse/children to join the participants will not be considered.