Hungary - flag Hungary - Passport & Nationality - Hungarian Citizenship by Marriage

You can become a Hungarian citizen through a process called "simplified naturalization" where:

  • you have been married for at least 10 years or
  • you have been married for at least 5 years and you had a child together.

When applying for Hungarian citizenship through this manner, one of the basic legal requirements is to understand and communicate in the Hungarian language on a sufficient level. This would normally require one to present the application independently, without external assistance, and to understand (and answer in basic Hungarian) the questions asked by the officer. If your command of Hungarian does not reach a sufficient level, your application may fail.

Hungary is a member of the European Union. As a result, a Hungarian passport holder can live and work in any of the EU member states (including Ireland).


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth. is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.