United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Family & Partner - Child Dependency Visa (Parent Employment)

Listen to our RECENT WEBINAR where our two British nationality experts - Philip Gamble and Mishal Patel - discuss the ways in which children under 18 can have rights to British nationality.

A child (including a legally adopted child) under the age of 18 may apply for a Child Dependency Visa based on a parent holding a valid Employment Category Visa. The types of Employment Category Visas are:

The parent would normally be resident in the United Kingdom. However, as long as the parent holds a valid UK Employment Visa, then an application on behalf of the child can be made outside of the UK.

The next stage for the holder of a Child Dependency Visa is Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), and this occurs at the same time that the sponsoring parent becomes eligible for ILR.

Please Note: Where the child is joining or accompanying one parent only to the UK (as opposed to both parents), then the parent moving to the UK must have SOLE RESPONSIBILITY rather than merely legal custody of that child. In such circumstances, the application is made a lot more complex and specialist advise should be sought.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.