United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship (Colony Parent and Residency)

A British nationality solution exists for a person born after 31 December 1982 to a parent born in a former British Colony who naturalised in the UK before 1983. It requires the following set of circumstances:

 - Candidate born after 31 December 1982;

 - Parent born in a former British Colony; AND

 - Parent spent at least 5 years in the UK before 1983.

The solution relies on the parent getting the Right of Abode in two ways - through their birth in a former British Colony and their residence in the UK. This meant that the parent was reclassified as being British otherwise than by descent on 1 Januray 1983 when the new British Nationality Act came into force. Any children born to such a parent were born British (though if the claim comes through the father, the parents must have been married before the birth of the candidate. If not, a separate registration must take place first).


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.