United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Birth (After 1982 - Under 18)

Listen to our RECENT WEBINAR where our two British nationality experts - Philip Gamble and Mishal Patel - discuss the ways in which children under 18 can have rights to British nationality.

A claim for British Citizenship by birth can be made where your child:

 a) was born in the UK; AND

 b) is still under 18


 - a parent was considered "Settled" at the time of your child's birth (this "Settled" status includes both British and Irish citizens, a person who held the Right of Abode or Permanent Residency);

 - a parent subsequently acquires this "Settled" status (as long as the application is made before the child turns 18);

 - a parent subsequently acquires this British or Irish citizenship (as long as the application is made before the child turns 18);

 - the child lived in the UK for the first 10 years of their life; OR

 - the child was born stateless and is still resident in the UK.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.