United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent (12(5)1948 PGF Colony)

Section 12(5) of the BNA confers Citizenship of the UK and Colonies to a mother who is married to a CUKC man before 01.01.1949 if the mother is a British Subject. It does not matter whether that man has the CUKC status by birth, descent, registration or naturalisation.

Further criteria are:

  • The marriage of the parents must have taken place BEFORE 01.01.1949
  • The applicant must have been born AFTER 01.01.1949
  • The applicant must have had the Right of Abode as at 01.01.1983
  • The paternal grandfather was born in country classified as the UK & Colonies after 01.01.1949
  • The mother must have been a British Subject

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.