United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent (Child Registration)

Listen to our RECENT WEBINAR where our two British nationality experts - Philip Gamble and Mishal Patel - discuss the ways in which children under 18 can have rights to British nationality.

This opportunity arises where a child:

 - is still under 18;

 - is resident outside of the UK; AND

 - has both parents who would become "Settled" were they to move to the UK.

If the family does want to move over to the UK for settlement, then you should note the following:

a) the child could enter the UK with "Indefinite Leave to Enter". This is a preferable immigration status than a visitor visa or a dependent visa. The application relies on demonstrating that both parents have a "Settled" status in the UK and that the intention of the family is to settle in the UK; AND

b) shortly after becoming resident in the UK, the child can then be registered as a British citizen.

There are two types of child registration. One will result in your child being classified as "British by Descent", and as a result would not normally be able to pass on their British nationality to their own children if they are born overseas. The other registration type will result in your child being classified as "British Otherwise than by Descent", they WOULD then be able to pass on their British nationality to their own children wherever they are born. Both applications require the child to be under the age of 18.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.