United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent (ETJ Right of Abode)

This solution applies to those:

 - Born between 01/01/1949 and 01/01/1982;

 - To a mother born in a foreign country where the British Government exercised jurisdiction over British Subjects at the time of her birth; AND

 - Her own father (your maternal grandfather) was born in a place that remained a Colony in the post-1949 period.

In addition, the solution requires:

 - no automatic loss of British nationality upon the independence of the former British Colony; AND

 - the Right of Abode derived from a UK-born grandparent.

Automatic loss of British Colonial Nationality has wide applications for all territories that formerly were part of the British Empire. The independence arrangements for the territories to which your mother and maternal grandfather are connected must be taken into account when analysing your status.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.