United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent (Pre 49 Foreign Territory)

This claim to British Nationality relies on an anomaly in the drafting of the British Nationality Act of 1772. It relies on the following:

  • A candidate born before 1949 in a "foreign" country;
  • A parent born before 1915 in a "foreign" country; AND
  • A UK-born grandfather.

This British Subject status is lost if the adult naturalises. Minor children of that adult will also lose the British Subject status, but again only if they naturalise. A wife will also lose the British Subject status on marriage to an "alien" (as defined by the British Nationality Act) but Section 14/15 of the BNA restores it.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.