United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent (Protectorate from Father)

This rare set of circumstances leads to a claim to British nationality. It requires the following broad criteria:

  • Candidate born in an independent country before 1983;
  • Father born in British Protectorate, Protected States, Manadated or Trust Territory (or a Foreign country where ETJ was exercised);
  • The father's father born in an Independent Commonwealth country classified as a 1(3) country;
  • The father's paternal grandfather born in the UK or a former British Colony that remained independent after the father's own country of birth gained its independence; AND
  • The Right of Abode through a UK-born grandparent.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.