United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent (Registration S4(C)-Mother)

This opportunity to Register as a British Citizen arises from a rare set of circumstances and relies on changes in the UK Immigration based on previous gender discrimination of women.

Broadly speaking, it requires the following set of circumstances:

- The applicant can be born anywhere, but before 01.01.1983.

- The applicant's parents were married before 01.01.1949.

- The Paternal Grandfather was born in the United Kingdom or in a country that was a British Colony after 01.01.1949. However, if the Paternal Grandfather was not born in the UK (i.e. was born in a country that remained as a British Colony after 01.01.1949), then at least one of the other grandparents (on either the father's or the mother's side) MUST have been born in the UK.

For more solutions involving:

  • British Citizenship by Double Descent,
  • Crown Service,
  • a parent born in a UK controlled territory,
  • a British parent; OR
  • or a grandparent born in the UK,

Then click on British Citizenship by Double Descent.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.