United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Double Descent by Discretion (4L BOTC 12(5) PGF)

This route to British citizenship relies on a paternal grandfather's birth in a British Overseas Territory. If this is coupled with a parent's marriage before 1 January 1949 and their own birth in the period 1 January 1949 to 31 December 1982, it gives the candidate the ability to register - at discretion - as a British citizen.

The territories that make up this group of British Overseas Territories are: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Indian Ocean Territory (Chagos), Montserrat, Pitcairn Islands, South Georgie and South Sandwich Islands, St Helena, Ascension, Gough and Tristan da Cunha, and the Turks and Caicos.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.