United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Citizenship by Registration - Mother UKM Qualifier 2010

This particular situation is quite rare, and only applies to children of a parent who spent 2 or 3 years in the UK. In addition, it requires the parent in question to acquire British Citizenship AFTER the birth of the child but BEFORE the child's 18th birthday.

The requirements are:

- Child under the age of 18
- Born to a parent who was NOT British at the time of the birth but who subsequently becomes British
- This British parent spent 3 years residency in the United Kingdom (with no more than 270 days of absence during those 3 years - in other words, as long as they spent 2 and a quarter years actually resident in the UK)
 - the parent of this parent (i.e the child's relevant grandparent) was born in the United Kingdom
 - the parent of this parent (i.e the child's relevant grandparent) was Registered as a Citizen of the UK and Colonies in a Commonwealth country that was at the time independent of British Rule
 - the parent of this parent (i.e the child's relevant grandparent) was born in a UK Colony (and remained a Citizen of the UK and Colonies after Independence) and had 5 years residency in the UK.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.