United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British National Overseas (BNO) - Upgrade to British Citizenship

Holders of a British National Overseas Passport (known as a BNO) who have no other citizenship or nationality, can be registered as a British Citizen. The BNO was created in response to the transfer of sovereignty of Hong Kong in 1997.

A British National Overseas citizen should NOT assume that simply because they hold nationality of another country, that they cannot upgrade their BNO status to full British Citizenship - this is because their other nationality MAY have been granted incorrectly and could be voided or cancelled.

A person will not qualify under this section if they have done anything AFTER 19 March 2009 that resulted in the loss of another nationality.

Other British nationality solutions involving Hong Kong include the following:

British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Hong Kong (After 1 July 1997)

British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Hong Kong (Before 1 July 1997)

British Citizenship by Descent (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong BNO Visa

Tier 5 Working Holiday Visa


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.