United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Burma Father

Where a person was born in Burma before 01.01.1949 and either their father or Paternal grandfather (i.e. their father's father) was born outside of Burma, then this person can apply for British Overseas Citizen (or BOC) status.

A further requirement is that the applicant must not be a "potential citizen" of any Section 1(3) country. These are the 7 Independent Commonwealth countries that existed in the years before 01.01.1949 and include Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Ceylon and Undivided India.

Where an applicant has a grandparent born in the UK or Ireland, then this BOC status can be upgraded to full British Nationality.

Click here for more information on the British Overseas Citizen (BOC) status.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.