United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Colony PGF

In this particular solution - for the status of British Overseas Citizen (or BOC) - a candidate must have:

 - been born after 31 Dec 1948 and before 1 Jan 1983;

 - been born before the date of Independence of their paternal grandfather's country of birth;

 - been born in an independent country;

 - a father who was born in a country where the British Crown exercised Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (or ETJ); AND

 - a paternal grandfather born in a former British Colony.

Candidates must not have been subject to the automatic loss arrangements specific to the countries involved to qualify under this provision. If the candidate has the Right of Abode (most commonly through a UK-born grandparent), then it should normally be possible to upgrade this status to full British nationality.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.