United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Colony by Descent

A person has a potential claim to the status of British Overseas Citizen (or BOC) where their father was born in former British Colony before its independence. The solution arises where:

 - the candidate was born before 1 January 1983 and before the Independence of their paternal grandfather's country of birth

 - the candidate's father was born in a former British Colony before its Independence; AND

 - the candidate's paternal grandfather was born in a former British Colony or British Protectorate that gained its independence after the Independence of the candidate's father's country of birth.


This BOC status could be upgraded in some circumstances where the candidate has the Right of Abode. This normally arises where:

 - the candidate has a UK-born grandparent;

 - the candidate is a woman and married a British man before 1983; OR

 - the candidate spent at least 5 years in the UK before 1983.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.