United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Marriage to CUKC Husband pre 1949

A woman has a potential claim to the status of British Overseas Citizen (or BOC) where she was married before 1949 a man who was classified as a Citizen of the UK & Colonies. It arises where:

 - the woman married a man before 1 January 1949; AND

 - the woman's husband (or her father-in law) was born in a former British Colony.


This BOC status could be upgraded in some circumstances where the candidate has the Right of Abode. This normally arises where:

 - the woman has a UK-born grandparent;

 - the woman's husband (or her father-in-law) was born in the UK;

 - the woman spent at least 5 years in the UK before 1983; OR

 - the woman holds no other nationality.

In some cases, such a woman can pass on British nationality to her children.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.