United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Penang & Malacca

Because of how the Constitution of Malaysia determined how citizenship was granted, those born in Penang and Malacca (now part of Malaysia) were automatically granted British Overseas Citizen (BOC) status. It was also possible to obtain this BOC status from one's father if he was born in Penang and Malacca. This status was maintained after Independence, unless the applicant was born in the Malay States, North Borneo or Labuan, or Sarawak.

It is possible under some circumstances to upgrade this BOC status into full British nationality - most commonly if Malaysian citizenship was not granted automatically upon independence.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.