United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Protectorate

In this particular solution, a candidate must have been born before 01.01.1949 in a place that remained a British Protectorate on 01.01.1949. In addition, their father must have been born in a place that was within the British Crown Dominions on 31.12.1948.

Candidates must not have been subject to the automatic loss arrangements specific to the countries involved to qualify under this provision.

Children of such successful applicants are able to claim the British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Protectorate by Descent status, as long as they were born before 01.01.1983 and that BOC candidate must have been their father. If such a child has a grandparent born in the United Kingdom, then their claim becomes one of British Citizenship. If the child is born before 01.01.1983 and the applicant is their mother, then they will have a British Nationality claim by UKM as long as they have a UK-born grandparent (on either side of their family).

Click here for more information on the British Overseas (BOC) status.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.