United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Territory (Father by Descent)
A British Overseas Citizen (BOC) solution can arise where:
The APPLICANT was born:
- in an independent country
- between 01.01.1949 and 31.12.1982; AND
- after the Independence of his father's country of birth;
The FATHER was born:
- in a former British Territory that only gained independence after 1948; AND
- in a territory that gained its independence after the father's father's (i.e. the applicant's paternal grandfather) country of birth.
Finally, the father and paternal grandfather must not have suffered from the Automatic Loss of their British nationality under any of the provisions that came into force on the Independence of each country concerned.
In some instances, it is possible that the applicant can upgrade this BOC status to full British nationality.