United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Territory (PGF Colony)

This is a rare instance of a British Overseas Citizen (or BOC) entitlement. It relies on:

  • The applicant born before 01.01.1983 in a former British territory;
  • The applicant's father born in a country that became a Commonwealth country on 01.01.1949; AND
  • The applicant's paternal grandfather born in a former British Colony that remained a colony after the applicant's country of birth became independent.

This claim relies on both generations born in wedlock and the applicant escaping the Automatic Loss provisions that were enacted upon independence of his country of birth.

In some circumstances, this qualifier could upgrade their BOC status to full British nationality. This normally occurs where a) the applicant is a woman and was married to a Citizen of the UK & Colonies before 1983, b) has spent some time in the UK before 1983 or c) has the Right of Abode through a UK-born grandparent. Click here for more information on the British Overseas (BOC) status.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.