United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - British Overseas Citizen (BOC) - Upgrade (11(1)2.2.1971)
If a woman holds the British Overseas Citizen (BOC) status, and is (or was) married to a man who meets the criteria below, then this woman will have become British. The criteria are:
- the marriage took place before 01.01.1983; AND
- the husband had the Right of Abode before 01.01.1983
The husband's Right of Abode in the United Kingdom could have been achieved by any one of the following ways:
- birth in the UK;
- British by Descent on the male side (i.e. the husbands father was British and born in the UK)
- a mother born in the UK, as long as this husband was a Commonwealth citizen as at 01.01.1949;
- resident in the UK for 5 years
- holds UK & Colonies Nationality as long as a grandparent was born in the UK.
Click here for more information on the British Overseas (BOC) status.